How do I add a rubric to an assessment (i.e., test or quiz)?
Rubrics may be associated with individual questions on an assessment in the Tests & Quizzes tool. You may add a rubric to any of the instructor-graded question types: File Upload, Short Answer/Essay, or Audio Response.
Important: The total point value for the rubric you add to a question should match the point value that you set for that assessment question.
Go to Tests & Quizzes.
Select the Tests & Quizzes tool from the tool menu of your site.
Add or Edit an instructor-graded question type in an assessment.
You will see the Grading Rubric options just below the point value information, once you have selected one of the instructor-graded questions types.
Configure the rubric options.
- Select the Use the following rubric to grade this assignment radio button.
- Choose the desired rubric from the drop-down menu.
- Important: The Answer Point Value value you enter for this question and the point value for the rubric you select to grade it should match. The drop-down menu will display the point values in parentheses for each rubric in your site. If no rubric with the desired point value is available in the drop-down menu, save your question, and return to the Rubrics tool to add or edit a rubric with the desired point value. The rubric’s point value is the sum of the max point value for each criterion in the rubric.
- Note: You must have existing rubrics in your site before they will display in the menu. Publicly shared rubrics must first be copied to your site before they will be available for selection.
- (Optional) Preview the selected rubric to make sure that it is the correct one.
- (Optional) Check the box for Adjust individual student scores if you would like to be able to change the number of points awarded for individual criteria ratings while grading student submissions on a per-student basis.
- (Optional) Check the box for Hide Rubric from student if you do not want students to see the rubric prior to submitting.
Select Save when you have finished setting up the question.
Your question now has a rubric attached.
Questions with rubrics attached display a rubric icon next to the points for the question.
For details on how to proceed with grading this assessment, refer to the article, How do I grade an assessment (i.e. test or quiz) using a rubric?