How do I add items to the Gradebook?
Go to Gradebook.
Select the Gradebook tool from the Tool Menu in your site.
Click the Add Gradebook Item button.
Note: Assignments, Tests & Quizzes, and Student Content in Lessons can be sent to the gradebook from within the respective tools when the item is posted or published. There is no need to add those items manually in the gradebook.
Instructors typically add items to the gradebook manually for things such as:
- Discussion Forum grades
- Other learning assessments not implemented through Assignments and Tests & Quizzes, including work submitted outside of Sakai
Click the Add Gradebook Items button to manually add items to your gradebook.
- Give your item a Title in the text box provided. A Title is required.
- Enter the Point Value for the item (also required).
- Optionally, if you would like this to be an extra credit item, you may select the check box for Extra Credit just below the point value. For more information on extra credit, see How does extra credit work?
- Enter a Due Date for the item if you choose. Due dates are optional. You may also use the calendar icon to pull up the date-picker and select a date from there.
- If you have categories in your gradebook, select the appropriate category for this item from the Category drop-down menu.
- Check the box for Release this item to Students if you would like students to be able to view their grades for this item. Leaving the box unchecked hides the item from students.
- Check the box for Include this item in course grade calculations if you would like the item to be added into the course grade. Leaving the box unchecked omits it from the course grade.
- Once you have entered all of the information for this item, click the Create button to save your changes. Alternatively, you can click the '+' button to save your changes and create another gradebook item.
View gradebook items.
After you have added items to your gradebook, you will be able to view a list of all gradebook items on the Grades tab (which is also the tool landing page).
If you have categories and your gradebook and the Group by Category option is enabled, each category will be color-coded and you will also see the category averages displayed at the far right of each category.
Items coming from other tools.
Notice that any items which are coming from Assignments or Tests & Quizzes will show a grayed out padlock icon in each cell and will also display the tool icon in the column label.
Items not included in grade calculation.
Any items not included in the grade calculation will display a crossed out calculator icon.
Items not released to students.
Any items which are not released to students will have crossed out eye icon and a crossed out calculator icon to indicate that they are not visible to students, and that they are not being calculated as part of the course grade.