How do I grade an assignment?
This article describes how to grade an assignment using the new grading interface. The older grading interface is now referred to as 'legacy'. Use of the new grading interface is optional. You may use either and switch between them as necessary. For further information on the two grading interfaces, see How do the new and legacy grading interfaces differ? Refer to How do I grade an assignment using the legacy grading interface? for instructions on grading with the legacy interface.
This article also assumes that the assignment is not graded with a rubric. For specific details on how to grade assignments with a rubric, refer also to either How do I grade an assignment using a rubric? or How do I grade an assignment using a rubric in the legacy grading interface?
For grading peer review assignments, refer instead to the article, How do I grade a peer review assignment? To have teaching assistants grade, refer to How do I enable teaching assistants to grade assignments?
Note that you can also use the grading tools in Turnitin Feedback Studio, or you can grade assignments offline, per the steps described in How do I download assignments for grading offline? and How do I upload graded assignment submissions and feedback?
Go to Assignments.
Select the Assignments tool from the Tool Menu in your site.
Select the assignment to grade.
Click the Grade link for the assignment you would like to grade.
Note: If you have yet to choose a grading scale for an assignment, it will say View Submissions instead of Grade.
Check the box next to 'Use new grading interface'.
The legacy grading interface is the default setting, but the Use new grading interface checkbox will thereafter reflect whichever grading interface you most recently used.
Tip: If you open a submission to grade and don't see the new interface, try deselecting and then re-selecting the option to use the new grading interface.
Select a student to grade.
You will see a list of all the students in the class, along with the submission date, status, grade, and release columns for each student. You may sort by any of these columns by clicking on the title of the column if desired.
Click on the student that you would like to grade.
(Optional) Customize the grading view.
Optionally, you may also click the Settings cog icon next to the assignment title to customize the grading view. This will allow you to select any of the following options:
- Navigate between students with submissions only
- Only show ungraded submissions
- Dock the grading panel on the left
- Please select a group
View student submission.
- The student submission will be previewed on one side of the screen.
- Note: For Microsoft Word documents submitted by students, the file content in the attachment preview panel will not necessarily match the same font used by the student.
- The student's name and submission date are listed in the top of the grading pane, along with links to submitted inline text (if applicable) and any file attachments. Click on the Submitted Text link or the filename of an item under Submitted Attachments to preview that item on the other side of the screen.
- If you would like to download a copy of the student file, click on the filename above the preview area.
- If the submission includes inline content you may leave inline feedback. Click on Add Inline Feedback at the bottom of the submission, use the editor to add your inline feedback and then click Done.