Topics Map > Software Guides > Audacity
Audacity: Downloading & Installing for Mac
Audacity, Version: 2.3.2. Be aware that different versions of Audacity will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
If you’re working on a computer that is already equipped with Audacity, skip this section. Otherwise, use the following instructions to download and install Audacity.
To download and install Audacity for Mac:
- From a web browser, navigate to http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
- Click “Audacity for MAC OS X/macOS.”
- From the next screen, select “Audacity 2.3.0 .dmg file” and a .dmg file will download.
- After the download is finished, navigate to the location the .dmg file was saved, which is most likely in the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the .dmg file. From the new window, drag-and-drop the Audacity icon to the Applications folder. This will install the program.
- Eject the installer from the Desktop by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Eject.
If the installation process gets stopped due to security reasons, adjust the computer’s security settings to make an exception for Audacity and Lame.
To make a security exception on Mac:
- Navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
- From the new window, click the Open Anyway button next to “_____ was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer” under “Allow apps downloaded from.”
- Click Open from the next window to continue installation.
- Audacity: Information
- Audacity: Downloading & Installing for Mac
- Audacity: Downloading & Installing for Windows
- Audacity: Setting Up and Saving Projects
- Audacity: Interface Overview & Tools
- Audacity: Recording Audio
- Audacity: The Timeline & Tracks
- Audacity: Importing Audio Files
- Audacity: Editing Audio
- Audacity: Volume Adjustments - Amplify
- Audacity: Volume Adjustments - Compressor
- Audacity: Volume Adjustments - Keyframing for Ducking and Fading
- Audacity: Splitting & Panning Tracks
- Audacity: Removing Background Noise
- Audacity: Sharing Projects
- Audacity: Exporting an Audio File (MP3, WAV, etc)