Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Hangouts Meet
Quick Guide: Google Meet for Instructors
Google Meet is a web conferencing tool that has video, voice, text, and screen sharing capabilities and is available to the PLU community through their PLU account. It works from web browsers, doesn’t require any additional software, and is easy-to-use. Meet may appear and function differently between computer and mobile devices. Refer to Google Meet Help for full instructions. PDF version of this document: View/Download
Quick Start Video
Hosting & Inviting
- Navigate to Google Calendar at calendar.google.com and click the desired date/time of the meeting. A pop-up will appear.
- Enter a title for the event and click “Add Google Meet Video Conferencing"
- Copy the join link that appears below “Join with Google Meet” (“meet.google.com/____”). Also consider copying the Phone info, which students can use to join the meeting if they have weak or limited internet access.
- Click “Save.”
- Paste the join link in a Sakai Lessons page, or email it to students via the Announcements tool.
- When it’s time to start the meeting, you and your students can click the join link to enter the meeting.
- Click the More Options button, which looks like three stacked dots to the bottom-right, and adjust audio and video settings as desired. If using an external mic such as the Snowball (recommended), ensure that it’s plugged in via USB.
- Click the “Join meeting” button when ready. First time users may need to click through welcome messages. If prompted, allow permission for Meet to use the computer's microphone and camera.
During a Meeting
Recording a Meeting
Sharing the Video
- Locate it in your Google Drive.
- Right-click the video and select “Get shareable link” from the pop-up that appears.
- Click the toggle to the top-right of the pop-up. This will turn on sharing for the video and copy the link to it.
- Navigate to the desired location in your Sakai course site, such as a Lessons page.
- On a Lessons page, click the “Add Content” button to the top-left and select “Add Content Links”.
- Paste the link into the field under “Create Web Link” and click “Save.”
Joining a Meeting
- When it’s time to join the meeting, click the link in the email/calendar event and the meeting will open in Meet.
- First time users may need to click through welcome messages. If prompted, allow permission for Meet to use the computer's microphone and camera.
- Click the More Options button, which looks like three stacked dots to the bottom-right, and adjust audio and video settings as desired.
- Click the “Join meeting” button when ready. If prompted, click the "Ask to Join the Meeting" button. When the host accepts, the meeting will load.
- When the meeting is over, click the Leave Call button, which looks like a phone, to exit.
- Do a test! Have a practice meeting before a session to make sure that everything is working correctly. Check your webcam, mic, and connectivity.
- Use an external microphone. PLU classroom computers aren’t equipped with mics, and built-in laptop mics are very poor quality. A USB mic called the “Snowball” is available for checkout at the Help Desk in the library.
- Position the mic and webcam (if using) so that you can be seen and heard easily.
- When using Meet during class, repeat/rephrase students' questions to ensure remote participants can hear them.
- Remote participants that are causing distracting noise can be muted. To mute a participant, click the People button to the top-right, select their name from the list, and click the microphone icon.
- If microphone or other audio problems occur, the text chat feature can be used to communicate.