Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Hangouts Meet
Quick Guide: Google Meet for Students
Google Meet is a web conferencing tool that has video, voice, text, and screen sharing capabilities and is available to the PLU community through their PLU account. It works from web browsers, doesn’t require any additional software, and is easy-to-use. Meet may appear and function differently between computer and mobile devices. Refer to Google Meet Help for full instructions. PDF Version of this document: View/Download
Joining a Meeting
- When it’s time to join the meeting, click the link in the email/calendar event and the meeting will open in Meet.
- Click the More Options button, which looks like three stacked dots to the bottom-right, and adjust audio and video settings as desired.
- Click the “Join meeting” button when ready.
- When the meeting is over, click the Leave Call button, which looks like a phone, to exit.
During a Meeting
- Do a test! Have a practice meeting before a session to make sure that everything is working correctly. Check your webcam, mic, and connectivity.
- Use headphones to prevent audio feedback.
- When you’re not participating in a spoken conversation, such as when you’re watching a lecture, we recommend muting your microphone. This will prevent any unexpected or accidental noises on your end from disturbing the meeting. To do so, click the mic icon at the bottom of the window. Remember to un-mute if/when you’d like to speak.
- Choose a quiet area to join the meeting, free from distractions and noise.