Topics Map > Software Guides > HandBrake
Handbrake: DVD Ripping
HandBrake can be used to rip videos off of unprotected DVDs, such as student-created DVDs. Videos that are ripped from encrypted or protected DVDs, such as most movies, will be badly distorted. A different program will need to be used to rip encrypted/protected DVDs. Handbrake and disc drives are available in the Library Design Lab. Full Guide: View/Download
To rip a DVD:
- Insert the DVD into the disc drive.
- Launch Handbrake. A pop-up will appear.
- Alternatively, if HandBrake is already open, click "Open Source" to the top-left.
- To rip the whole DVD, leave these as-is.
- To rip only a portion, select the desired DVD chapters, or set the time-frame in seconds.