Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Docs
Google Docs: Creating a New Document
This article covers instructions for using the web version of Google Docs. Be aware that other versions, such as the mobile app, will vary in functionality.
Google Docs can be created in two main ways. A blank Doc can be created within Google Drive, and Microsoft Word files can be opened as a Google Doc. Word documents can be edited and shared the same ways as any Google Doc.
To create a new blank Google Doc:
- Navigate to drive.google.com. Ensure you’re logged in with your PLU ePass.
- Click “New” to the top-left, and select “Google Docs.” A blank Doc will open in a new tab.
- Enter a title for the Doc in the field to the top-left. Docs are named “Untitled document” by default.
Microsoft Word Documents
To open a Microsoft Word document in Google Docs:
- Click “New” to the top-left, and select “File upload.”
- Locate and select the desired Microsoft Word document.
- Click “Open.” The file will begin uploading and a pop-up with the progress status will appear to the bottom-right of the page.
- When the upload is complete, click the file from the upload pop-up. The file will open in Google Docs in a new tab, and the name will be appended with "docx".