Topics Map > Software Guides > WordPress
WordPress: Creating Pages & Posts
WordPress, version 5.7. The instructions in this guide apply to sites built with the PLU Digital Humanities Lab version of WordPress and may not translate to sites built with WordPress.com or other versions.
2. Add Block: Add a new block of content. A pop-up with all block types will appear.
3. Controls: Switch tools, undo/redo, view details, and view block outline.
- Preview: View how the pending changes will look when published.
- Publish/Update: Save and publish changes to the web. When a new page/post is created, the button displays as “Publish.” After the first publish, the button displays “Update” instead.
- Document: Adjust settings for the page/post, such as author, privacy, and allowing or disabling comments.
- Block: Adjusts settings for the selected block. In this example, a Paragraph block is selected, so the settings are related to the text, such as color and size.
- Click the “+” Add Block button at the top of the page. A drop-down menu will appear, with content options divided into categories:
- Text: Text options such as Paragraph, Headings, Lists, etc.
- Media: Images, audio clips, video players, etc.
- Design: Stylizing elements to add columns, line breaks, and buttons.
- Widgets: Displays site elements like a list of blog posts, tags, and comments.
- Embeds: Easily incorporate content from other sites like YouTube, Spotify, and Reddit.
- Select the desired block type. An empty block of that type will be added to the page/post.
- Use the toolbar that appears above the block to modify the content.
Text Blocks (Paragraph, Headings)
The two most common text block types are Paragraph and Heading. Paragraph blocks are used for body text, and Headings are for headlines. Use Headings to breakup text into sections based on topics. Text Formatting options such as alignment, bold, and italicizing are available in the toolbar above the text block.
To change the text color, click the down-arrow in the toolbar and select "Text color."
To add a link, such as to another website:
- Add a Paragraph block to the page/post.
- Enter the desired link text into the block.
- Click-and-drag to highlight the text.
- Click the chainlink icon from the toolbar above the block. A new window will appear.
- Type or paste a URL into the field.
- Select the option, "Open in a new tab."
- Click the Submit/Enter button. The previously highlighted text will be converted into a clickable link.
General Block Options
- Settings: access settings, such as background color, from the panel to the right in the "Block" tab. If the panel is hidden, click the gear icon to the top-right and it will open.
- Copy/Duplicate/Delete block: click the kebab button in the block toolbar, located to the far right, and make a selection.
- Insert a block between 2 other blocks: hover between them and click the “+” Add Block button, then select an option.
- Reorder blocks: click the up/down arrows from the toolbar above the block to reorder the blocks on the page/post.
|Keywords:||WordPress, word press, website, create a website, blogging||Doc ID:||97712|
|Owner:||Misty B.||Group:||Pacific Lutheran University|
|Created:||2020-02-06 12:36 PDT||Updated:||2021-04-15 15:48 PDT|
|Sites:||Pacific Lutheran University|
|Feedback:||0 0 Suggest a new document|