Topics Map > Software Guides > InDesign
InDesign: Text on a Path or Shape
Version: Adobe InDesign 2020. Be aware that different versions of InDesign will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
Text can be placed along a shape or path, which can add visual interest or draw attention to specific text. See InDesign: Using Text for more details about adding text.
To add text along a shape or path:
- Draw a shape, such as a circle (see the Shapes section for more details).
- Select the Type on a Path tool, which may be located within the Type tool in the Toolbar.
- Hover over the border line of the shape. A small plus icon will appear to the right of the cursor.
- Click the line and a typing indicator will appear. Type and format text as normal.
To change the start and end points of the text, click-and-drag the blue lines that appear on either side with the Selection tool.
To shape the path of the text without showing the shape, set the color of the fill and stroke of the shape to transparent. See InDesign: Applying Color for more details.
- InDesign: Information
- InDesign: Interface Overview
- InDesign: Creating a New Document
- InDesign: Working with Pages
- InDesign: Using Guides
- InDesign: Layering & Object Arrangement
- InDesign: Using Text
- InDesign: Text Wrap
- InDesign: Text on a Path or Shape
- InDesign: Using Images
- InDesign: Drawing Shapes
- InDesign: Applying Color
- InDesign: Applying Gradients
- InDesign: Applying Effects
- InDesign: Errors & Troubleshooting
- InDesign: Saving, Exporting & Transporting Projects