Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Meet
Google Meet: Information
Description: Web conferencing tool
Usage: Virtual meetings, web interviews, guest speakers in a class/meeting, remote class sessionsAvailable locations: Any web browser, or Google Meet mobile app
Help: Contact (253) 535-7525, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Help Desk Library
Google Meet is a web conferencing tool that has video, voice, text, and screen sharing capabilities and is available to the PLU community through their PLU ePass account. It works from web browsers, doesn’t require any additional software, and is easy-to-use. Be aware that Meet may appear and function differently between computer and mobile devices.
General Meeting Tips
- Do a test! Have a practice meeting before a session to make sure that everything is working correctly. Check your webcam, mic, and connectivity.
- Use an external microphone. PLU classroom computers aren’t equipped with mics, and built-in laptop mics are very poor quality. USB microphones are available for checkout at the Help Desk in the library.
- Position the mic and webcam (if using) so that you can be seen and heard easily.
- When using Meet during class, repeat/rephrase other's questions to ensure remote participants can hear them.
- Remote participants that are creating unwanted noise can be muted. To mute a participant, click the People button to the top-right, select their name from the list, and click the microphone icon.
- If audio problems occur, the text chat feature can be used to communicate.