Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Hangouts Meet
Google Hangouts Meet: Information
This software is supported by Instructional Technologies.
Description: Online web conferencing software that can be used for virtual meetings, web interviews, guest speakers in a class/meeting
Usage: All members of the PLU community with an ePass accountAvailable locations: Any computer with access to the internet
Help: Contact the Help Desk at 253-535-7525 or visit us in the library, or email email@example.com
Google Hangouts Meet is a web conferencing tool that has video, voice, text, and screen sharing capabilities and is available to the PLU community through their PLU account. It works from web browsers, doesn’t require any additional software, and is easy-to-use. Meet may appear and function differently between computer and mobile devices.
General Meeting Tips
- Do a test! Have a practice meeting before a session to make sure that everything is working correctly. Check your webcam, mic, and connectivity.
- Use an external microphone. PLU classroom computers aren’t equipped with mics, and built-in laptop mics are very poor quality. A USB mic called the “Snowball” is available for checkout at the Help Desk in the library.
- Position the mic and webcam (if using) so that you can be seen and heard easily.
- When using Meet during class, repeat/rephrase other's questions to ensure remote participants can hear them.
- Remote participants that are causing distracting noise can be muted. To mute a participant, click the People button to the top-right, select their name from the list, and click the microphone icon.
- If microphone or other audio problems occur, the text chat feature can be used to communicate.
- Google Hangouts Meet: Information
- Google Hangouts Meet: Hosting Meetings & Inviting Participants
- Google Hangouts Meet: Joining a Meeting
- Google Hangouts Meet: Participating in a Meeting
- Google Hangouts Meet: Recording Meetings
- Quick Guide: Google Hangouts Meet for Instructors
- Quick Guide: Google Hangouts Meet for Students
- Google Hangouts Meet: FAQs and Troubleshooting