Topics Map > Software Guides > Audacity
Audacity: Downloading & Installing
Audacity, Version: 2.3.2. Be aware that different versions of Audacity will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
If you’re working on a computer that is already equipped with Audacity, skip this section. Otherwise, use the following instructions to download and install Audacity.
To download and install Audacity:
- From a web browser, navigate to audacityteam.org/download.
- Select the option for your computer operating system (Windows, macOS). The page will redirect and the download should begin after a few seconds.
- If prompted, select a storage location, and click "Save."
- Alternatively, navigate to the location where the installation file was saved and open it. Check the Downloads folder.
- Mac: Double-click the .dmg file. From the new window, drag-and-drop the Audacity icon to the Applications folder. This will install the program. When done, right-click the installer and select "Eject."
Security Settings (Mac)
If the installation process gets stopped due to security reasons, adjust the computer’s security settings to make an exception for Audacity.
To make a security exception on Mac:
- Navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
- From the new window, click the Open Anyway button next to “_____ was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer” under “Allow apps downloaded from.”
- Click Open from the next window to continue installation.
- Audacity: Information
- [Link for document 86082 is unavailable at this time.]
- Audacity: Downloading & Installing
- Audacity: Setting Up and Saving Projects
- Audacity: Interface Overview & Tools
- Audacity: Recording Audio
- Audacity: The Timeline & Tracks
- Audacity: Importing Audio Files
- Audacity: Editing Audio
- Audacity: Volume Adjustments - Amplify
- Audacity: Volume Adjustments - Compressor
- Audacity: Volume Adjustments - Keyframing for Ducking and Fading
- Audacity: Splitting & Panning Tracks
- Audacity: Removing Background Noise
- Audacity: Sharing Projects
- Audacity: Exporting an Audio File (MP3, WAV, etc)