Topics Map > Software Guides > iMovie
iMovie: Applying Effects & Adjustments
iMovie, Version: 10.1.8. Be aware that different versions of iMovie will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
To apply effects and adjustments, select the desired clip in the Timeline and choose from the options above the Viewer. Available options will depend on the type of clip that’s selected.
- Auto-Enhance: iMovie attempts to automatically improve the video and audio quality of the selected clip.
- Color Balance: change the color to match the other clips and adjust white balance.
- Color Correction: Brighten/darken the footage, increase/decrease color intensity, adjust the blue/orange tones.
- Crop: cut out portions of photo/video clips.
- Stabilization: decrease shakiness of video. Always use a tripod when recording.
- Noise Reduction and Equalizer: decrease the unwanted background noise and alter the timbre of the audio.
- Speed: slow down, speed up, and reverse footage. Slow footage is marked with a turtle; fast footage is marked with a rabbit; reversed footage is marked with a backward play symbol.
- Clip Filter and Audio Effect: color effects such as black and white; audio effects such as echo.
- Clip information: view the duration and name of the clip.
When an effect/adjustment is selected, options for it will appear directly below it.
- To remove an effect/adjustment, click “Reset.”
- To remove all effects/adjustments, click “Reset All.”