Topics Map > Software Guides > Photoshop
Photoshop: Drawing Shapes
Basic shape tools that are available in the Toolbar include: Rectangle, Rounded Rectangle, Ellipse (circle/oval), Polygon, Line, and Custom Shape. Before using a shape tool, create a new layer to avoid inadvertently modifying other layers.
To create a shape:
- Select the desired shape tool from the Toolbar.
- Access all shape tools: click-and-hold the shape tool in the Toolbar. A pop-up with shape tool options should appear.
- Polygon: Enter the desired number of sides in the Sides field.
- Line: click the gear icon and check the boxes for “Start” or “End” under “Arrowheads” to draw an arrow. For just a line, un-check these boxes.
- Custom: select an option from the Shape drop-down.
- When drawing a rectangle or ellipse, hold the Shift key to create a square or perfect circle.
Upon releasing the mouse, a new layer will be automatically created and the Properties panel should open. If it doesn’t, navigate to Window > Properties. Options for modifying the shape will also appear in the Options bar. Be aware that in order to modify a shape, its layer must be selected the Shape tool must be in use. Available options will depend on the type of shape, and may include:
- Size and position
- Colors for fill and stroke. The fill is the inside of the shape and the stroke is the outer border. Choose from a set of swatches or click the icon in the top-right of the color pop-up to open the Color Picker (see Photoshop: Colors for more details).
- Stoke options such as the size, pattern, and alignment
- Corner rounding
- Path operations (used for combining shapes overlapping shapes)
To resize a shape:
- Select the layer for the shape in the Layers panel.
- Select the corresponding shape tool.
- Click-and-drag the handles that appear on the sides and corners of the shape.
- Photoshop: Information
- Photoshop: Creating a New Document
- Photoshop: Interface Overview
- Photoshop: Undoing Changes & the History Panel
- Photoshop: Layering & Object Arrangement
- Photoshop: Selection Tools
- Photoshop: Painting Brushes
- Photoshop: Cropping
- Photoshop: Resizing
- Photoshop: Masking
- Photoshop: Drawing Shapes
- Photoshop: Using the Pen Tool (Custom Paths)
- Photoshop: Adding Text
- Photoshop: Colors
- Photoshop: Color Balance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Vibrance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Brightness/Contrast Adjustment
- Photoshop: Levels Adjustment (Tonal Range)
- Photoshop: Face Retouching
- Photoshop: Saving & Exporting