Topics Map > Software Guides > Photoshop
Photoshop: Color Balance Adjustment
Version: Adobe Photoshop CC 2018. Be aware that different versions of Photoshop will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
Adjustments in Photoshop are a group of editing tools that can be used to manipulate color and tone without permanently changing the image. Adjustment layers can be edited and discarded in order to restore the original image at any time. Common Adjustments include Levels, Brightness & Contrast, Vibrance, and Color Balance.
The Color Balance adjustment is used for general color correction. Color Balance works with complementary colors that have inverse relationships: cyan and red, magenta and green, yellow and blue. This means that if an image has too much cyan in it, the cyan will need to be decreased, which will cause the red value to increase. Be careful not to over-do Color Balance adjustments, or you may replace one incorrect color for another.
To color correct with the Color Balance Adjustment:
- Select the Color Balance adjustment from the Adjustments panel. A Color Balance layer will be added in the Layers panel, and a Properties panel will open.
- If the Adjustments panel isn't open, navigate to Window > Adjustments.
- (Optional) Toggle the Preserve Luminosity option to see how that changes the image. This setting is optional.
After adding an Adjustment to an image, a new layer is created for the adjustment in the Layers panel.
- To re-open adjustments later, double-click on the adjustment’s icon in its layer. The adjustment’s Properties Panel, with any changes made, will appear.
- To delete an adjustment layer, click-and-drag the layer to the trashcan within the Layers Panel.
- Photoshop: Information
- Photoshop: Creating a New Document
- Photoshop: Interface Overview
- Photoshop: Undoing Changes & the History Panel
- Photoshop: Cropping an Image
- Photoshop: Resizing
- Photoshop: Layering & Object Arrangement
- Photoshop: Face Retouching
- Photoshop: Saving & Exporting
- Photoshop: Color Balance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Vibrance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Brightness/Contrast Adjustment
- Photoshop: Levels Adjustment (Tonal Range)