Topics Map > Software Guides > Photoshop
Photoshop: Adding Text
Version: Adobe Photoshop CC 2021. Be aware that different versions of Photoshop will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guides: Photoshop: Images, Photoshop: Graphic Design
To add text in Photoshop, click the approximate desired area for the text on the Canvas with the Type tool. A new layer will be added in the Layers panel and a text box with filler text will appear. Type the desired text.
Formatting options will appear in the Options bar. Be aware that in order to modify text, its layer must be selected, the Type tool must be in use, and the text must be highlighted. Formatting options include font, weight, size, alignment, and more:
- Color: choose from a set of swatches, or click the icon in the top-right of the color pop-up to open the Color Picker (see the Colors section for more details).
- Warp Text: change the shape of the text, such as into an arc.
- Character and Paragraph panels: opens advanced formatting options, such as leading and kerning.
- 3D: convert to 3D text. This will open the 3D workspace.
To modify the text box, switch to the Move tool and ensure “Show Transform Controls” is checked in the Options bar. The Move tool can:
- Reposition: click-and-drag the box to a new location.
- Resize: click-and-drag the handles that appear on the sides of the box.
- Rotate: hover just outside a corner handle. A curved, double-sided arrow should appear. Then, click-and-drag to rotate the box.
To add a stroke (border) around the letters:
- Select the layer for the text in the Layers panel.
- Click the “fx” button to the bottom of the Layers panel, and select “Stroke” from the pop-up that appears. The Layer Style window will open.
- Adjust settings as desired, including the size, color, and pattern of the stroke.
- Click “OK” when done.
- Photoshop: Information
- Photoshop: Creating a New Document
- Photoshop: Interface Overview
- Photoshop: Undoing Changes & the History Panel
- Photoshop: Layering & Object Arrangement
- Photoshop: Selection Tools
- Photoshop: Painting Brushes
- Photoshop: Cropping
- Photoshop: Resizing
- Photoshop: Masking
- Photoshop: Drawing Shapes
- Photoshop: Using the Pen Tool (Custom Paths)
- Photoshop: Adding Text
- Photoshop: Colors
- Photoshop: Color Balance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Vibrance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Brightness/Contrast Adjustment
- Photoshop: Levels Adjustment (Tonal Range)
- Photoshop: Face Retouching
- Photoshop: Saving & Exporting