Topics Map > Software Guides > Photoshop
Photoshop: Creating a New Document
Version: Adobe Photoshop CC 2018. Be aware that different versions of Photoshop will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
To begin editing a photo with Photoshop:
- Launch Photoshop.
- Once booted, navigate to File > Open. A new window will appear.
- Locate the desired image stored on the computer.
- Click Open.
The image will import automatically as a background layer in the Layers Panel and the canvas will be fitted to the size of the image. See Photoshop: Layering & Object Arrangement for more details about layers. Photos must be saved onto the computer or connected flash drive in order to open them in Photoshop.
To create a blank document, such as for drawing:
- Navigate to File > New... A new window will appear.
- Select a preset. Use the tabs at the top, such as "Photo" and "Print," to select a document type that fits the desired project.
- Adjust the Preset Details to the right of the window, such as size and resolution.
- Click Create.
- Photoshop: Information
- Photoshop: Creating a New Document
- Photoshop: Interface Overview
- Photoshop: Undoing Changes & the History Panel
- Photoshop: Cropping an Image
- Photoshop: Resizing
- Photoshop: Layering & Object Arrangement
- Photoshop: Face Retouching
- Photoshop: Saving & Exporting
- Photoshop: Color Balance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Vibrance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Brightness/Contrast Adjustment
- Photoshop: Levels Adjustment (Tonal Range)