Topics Map > Software Guides > Photoshop
Photoshop: Brightness/Contrast Adjustment
Adjustments in Photoshop are a group of editing tools that can be used to manipulate color and tone without permanently changing the image. Adjustment layers can be edited and discarded in order to restore the original image at any time. Common Adjustments include Levels, Brightness & Contrast, Vibrance, and Color Balance.
If an image is too bright or dark overall, the Brightness/Contrast adjustment can also be used to change the tonal range. Increasing the brightness to make the image overall brighter, and decreasing will make it darker. Contrast works by adjusting the bright and dark parts of an image in relation to each other. When the Contrast is decreased, the image becomes grayer and the colors are less sharp. When Contrast is increased, dark areas become darker and bright areas become brighter.
To change the Brightness/Contrast:
- Select the Brightness/Contrast adjustment in the Adjustments panel. A Brightness/Contrast layer will be added in the Layers panel, and a Properties panel will open.
- If the Adjustments panel isn’t open, navigate to Window > Adjustments.
After adding an Adjustment to an image, a new layer is created for the adjustment in the Layers panel.
- To re-open adjustments later, double-click on the adjustment’s icon in its layer. The adjustment’s Properties Panel, with any changes made, will appear.
- To delete an adjustment layer, click-and-drag the layer to the trashcan within the Layers Panel.
- Photoshop: Information
- Photoshop: Creating a New Document
- Photoshop: Interface Overview
- Photoshop: Undoing Changes & the History Panel
- Photoshop: Layering & Object Arrangement
- Photoshop: Selection Tools
- Photoshop: Cropping
- Photoshop: Resizing
- Photoshop: Masking
- Photoshop: Drawing Shapes
- Photoshop: Using the Pen Tool (Custom Paths)
- Photoshop: Adding Text
- Photoshop: Colors
- Photoshop: Color Balance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Vibrance Adjustment
- Photoshop: Brightness/Contrast Adjustment
- Photoshop: Levels Adjustment (Tonal Range)
- Photoshop: Face Retouching
- Photoshop: Saving & Exporting