Topics Map > Software Guides > OBS
This software is supported by Instructional Technologies.
Description: Screencasting and streaming software.
Usage: Recording computer screens, such as for instructional videosAvailable locations: The Studio (LIB 017), Design Lab (LIB 140)
Access: Download for free at https://obsproject.com/
Help: (253) 535-7525, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Help Desk in Mortvedt Library
Full Guide: View/Download
Introduction to OBS
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a free, open-source program for screencasting and live streaming. Use OBS to record video of your computer screen for lectures, tutorials, and instruction. As there is no built-in editing capabilities, videos created with OBS need to be edited in an external program, such as iMovie or Adobe Premiere. Be aware that different versions of OBS will vary in appearance and functionality.
- Write a script or outline of the narration.
- Write an action plan. Make note of the screen actions, clicks, etc. that need to go along with the narration.
- Have all material well prepared before recording.
- Practice! Run through the material, written and visual, multiple times before recording the final screencast.
- Use an external microphone for narration. Built-in microphones are low quality.
- Use headphones. If the computer plays any sounds through the speakers, they will be picked up by the microphone.
- Speak clearly and concisely.
- Try to pace the screencast so that it’s not too fast, or too slow. Give viewers enough time to see the content without lingering too long.
- Don’t strive for perfection. People make mistakes in live/in-person presentations all the time, and it may not be worth re-recording for minor mistakes.
- Record in a quiet space. Unwanted background noise will be picked up by the microphone.
Download & Install
To download and install OBS:
- Navigate to obsproject.com.
- Click to select the appropriate operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux). The download will begin.
- When the download is complete, navigate to the storage location of the file and open it.
- Click through the installation process until complete.