Topics Map > Software Guides > OBS
OBS: Configuring Preferences
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), version: 23.2.1. Be aware that different versions of OBS will vary in appearance and functionality. Full Guide: View/Download
When using OBS for the first time, there are a few settings that need to be configured before recording. Use the following steps to properly setup your OBS for screencasting. This configuration only needs to be set up once.
To configure settings for screencast recording:
- Navigate to OBS > Preferences (Mac), or File > Preferences (Windows) from the Menu Bar. The Preferences window will appear.
- Click “Output” from the menu to the left and adjust the following settings:
- Set the desired storage location.
- Click Browse next to the Recording Path field.
- Navigate to the desired location.
- Click Open.
- Select the “Indistinguishable Quality, Large File Size” from the Recording Quality drop-down.
- Select “mp4” from the Recording Format drop-down.
- Click Video from the menu to the left.
- In the Base (Canvas) Resolution and Output (Scaled) Resolution drop-downs, select “1920x1080.” This ensures that the recorded video will be in HD.
- Click OK when done.