Topics Map > Software Guides > OBS
OBS: Quickstart Guide
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), version: 30.0.2. Be aware that different versions of OBS will vary in appearance and functionality.
*Video shows version 23.2.1. Some information may not be accurate to current version (30.0.2)
If your preferences are already configured, use the following instructions to get quickly set up for simple podcasting with OBS. Preferences must be configured before recording for the first time. See OBS: Configuring Preferences for more information on proper Preferences.
To record a screencast with OBS:
- Prepare the content to be recorded and launch OBS.
- Select a Scene from the Scenes window. If no Scenes are listed in the Scenes box, click the plus button to the bottom-left to create at least one, and click OK.
- Set up a Source in the Sources Window.
- Click the plus button to the bottom-left of the Sources window.
- On Windows, select “Display Capture”. On Mac, select "macOS Screen Capture".
- In the pop-up that appears, click OK.
- If the recording shows only a portion of your screen and shows the red outlining box is larger than the captured area, you can change you output resolution by going to Settings > Display, and change your base canvas size to match that of your device (commonly 1920x1080)
To Record a Voiceover:
- Make sure your microphone (or webcam) is plugged in (highly recommended to use external microphones), or use a laptop's built-in microphone.
- Click the settings button, which looks like 3 dots, below the mic level meter in the Mixer, and select Properties.
- In the pop-up that appears, select the microphone from the Device drop-down. If the external microphone isn’t listed, restart OBS.
- Click OK.
- Check the mic levels in the Mixer box. Practice saying a few lines out loud, and make sure the levels hit the yellow region. If the levels are consistently higher or lower than that, adjust the input volume with the slider below the levels.
- In the main OBS window, the Preview shows the region that will be recorded. To size the browser window to fit properly:
- Click the image within the Preview. A red border will appear.
- Right-click the preview
- Hover over Transform
- Select “Fit to Screen.”
- If there are any black regions around the selected Source in the Preview, resize the browser window to fill the entire Preview. Refer to OBS: Recording.
- When ready, click Start Recording. Minimize or hide the OBS window to hide it.
- When done, click Stop Recording from the OBS window.
The video recording of the screencast will be saved to the Video or Movies folder by default, or the storage location set in Preferences.