Topics Map > Getting Started with Technology > Software Licenses
Several software applications purchased by the university are available to PLU students, faculty, and staff for use on personal computers. Information & Technology Services maintains and distributes site licensing for a select group of software products, including Google Suite for Education, Microsoft Office, SPSS, and Qualtrics.
Google Suite for Education
- Google Mail – PLU offers email accounts for all current faculty, students, and staff. Accounts are hosted by Google with unlimited storage space, tools to search and find messages quickly, as well as messaging and video chat built right into the browser.
- Google Hangouts / Meet – Unifies chats, audio calls, and video meetings across all of your devices. Whether you’re in Gmail, on a desktop, or on Android or iOS devices, you won’t miss a thing because your Hangouts are synchronized and helps you stay connected no matter where you are.
- Google Calendar – Everyone can organize their schedules and share events, meetings and entire calendars with others. You can even publish a calendar on your website to let others know about upcoming events.
- Google Groups – Allows you to manage and archive your mailing list and provides a method for communication and collaboration with group members. Members can read and post messages online or via email as well as search archives of your group’s messages.
- Google Drive – Students and faculty can create documents, spreadsheets and presentations and then collaborate with each other in real-time right inside a web browser window.
- Google Sites – Create a website and edit it the same way you’d edit a document — no technical expertise required. Your site can bring together all the information you want to share with your colleagues and students, including docs, calendars, photos, videos and attachments.
Microsoft Office 365
PLU has a site license for Microsoft Office 365, which allows all faculty, staff, and students to install Microsoft Office on up to five personal computers while working for or attending PLU. The Office 365 download includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote and is available for both Apple and Windows computers. To get your license go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/office/default.aspx and follow the instructions to sign up for your account and download the software. It may take a day or two for your software request to be approved. See Office 365 - Student/Teacher Signup for detailed instructions for screen shots and step by step instructions.