Topics Map > Software Guides > WeVideo
WeVideo: Getting Started
WeVideo, 2021. Be aware that different versions of WeVideo will vary in appearance and functionality.
An account is required to use WeVideo. Students who are assigned a WeVideo project may be given temporary access to a licensed account through their course. If you were assigned a WeVideo project, please wait for instructions from your instructor regarding account access. After the semester for the assignment has concluded, licensed WeVideo accounts will revert to the free version and all edits and exports will be maintained. Anyone can sign-up for a WeVideo account for free.
To login to WeVideo after setting up an account, go to WeVideo.com and use the Google sign-in option with your PLU account.
After logging in, the Dashboard will display. Five tabs will be available:
- Home: Open recent edits, and access some templates.
- Templates: Access all templates.
- Projects: Create and manage Projects.
- Media: Upload, access, and manage all media that has been uploaded to your WeVideo edits, projects, and account.
- Exports: Access finished edits that have been exported.
Creating an Edit
An “Edit” in WeVideo refers to a video editing project.
To create a new Edit:
- From the WeVideo Dashboard, click "Create New" to the top-left. A new pop-up will appear.
- Select "Video."
- If prompted, select the desired Project to save the Edit to.
- Click “My Video” to the top-right. A new window will appear.
- Enter a descriptive name for the Edit in the field, and click “OK.”
- Click the hamburger (three line) button to the top-left. The Main Menu will open.
- At the bottom of the menu, ensure “Switch to Storyboard” is displayed. If “Switch to Timeline” is displayed instead, select option. The instructions in the rest of the guide are written for Timeline mode instead of Storyboard.
Refer to the other articles in this guide for instructions on using the editing features.
Creating a Project
Edits are organized into Projects, which are like folders that house the Edits. Each Project can have multiple Edits. Projects are available in three types: Personal, Collaborative, and Shared. When the first Edit is created, a Project called “My Project” is automatically generated for it. All future Edits will be automatically saved to this Project unless more Projects are created.
Be aware that in order to add other users to a Project, you must be members of the same group. If you’re having issues with sharing Projects, please reach out to email@example.com.
To create a new Project:
- Navigate to the Projects tab of the WeVideo Dashboard.
- Click the blue button to the bottom-right, “Create new project.”
- Enter a title for the Project in the first field, and a description if desired.
- Select a Project type:
- Personal: only you will be able to access the Edit, unless it’s later shared with other users within your group.
- Collaborative: other members of your group can work together on Edits in real-time.
- Shared: project members from the same group have access to the same media, but work on separate Edits.
- Select your group from the list that appears, and click “Next.”
- Select the desired invitees, and click “Next.”
- Select the media to add if desired, and click “Next.”
To share a personal Project with other members of your group:
- From the Projects tab, click a Project to open it.
- Click the Add Members button to the top-right, which has a person and plus icon. A new window will appear.
- Select your group, and click “Next.”
- Select the desired invitees, and click “Save.” The invitees will now be able to access the Project in the “Shared with me” section of their Projects tab, and the Project will be converted to the Collaborative Project type if it wasn’t already.
To access Projects that are shared with you, navigate to "Shared with me" tab from the top of the page.