Topics Map > Software Guides > Zoom
Zoom: Virtual Backgrounds
Zoom web conferencing, 2020. Be aware that different versions of Zoom will vary in appearance and functionality.
Virtual backgrounds can be used to mask the background of your Zoom video feed with an image or video. They can be a fun way to add privacy for your personal space. Be aware that in order to use virtual backgrounds, devices need to meet minimum requirements. PLU faculty, students, and staff have access to several PLU-themed backgrounds.
To use a virtual background during a meeting:
- Click the up arrow next to the Video icon from the toolbar to the bottom-left and select "Choose Virtual Background." A new window will appear.
- Select one of the options. A preview will appear in the window above the background options.
- Alternatively, click the "+" button to the right to upload an image.
- If you do not see the PLU options, verify that you are logged into your PLU account.
Lighting adjustments may be necessary to make sure you are seen and do not blend into the background. If an error message appears when trying to apply a virtual background, it may be an indicator that your device doesn’t meet minimum requirements for this feature.
More information about Virtual Backgrounds can be found in Zoom's Support Documents.
- Zoom: Information
- Zoom: Scheduling Meetings
- Zoom: Joining a Meeting
- Zoom: Participating in a Meeting
- Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features
- Zoom: Polling (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: Breakout Rooms (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: FAQs and Troubleshooting
- Zoom: Zoombombing & Meeting Security
- Zoom: Recording a Meeting
- Zoom: Sharing a Meeting Recording
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Instructors
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Students