Topics Map > Software Guides > Zoom
Zoom: Breakout Rooms (Hosts Only)
Zoom web conferencing. Be aware that different versions of Zoom will vary in appearance and functionality.
With Breakout Rooms, participants can be split into multiple separate sessions. In a Breakout Room, participants can communicate with each other separately from the main session and other participants. This can be useful for group work. In order to use Breakout Rooms, this feature must be turned on in the user’s Settings (see Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features for more details).
To use Breakout Rooms:
- During a meeting, click the “Breakout Rooms” option at the bottom of the window and a new window will appear. This feature will only be available if it was turned on in the user’s Settings (see Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features for more details).
- Select the number of rooms in the number field at the top of the window, and then select either the automatic or manual option for assigning participants.
- Click “Create Breakout Rooms.” The Breakout Rooms will display, depending on the options selected.
- To add more rooms, click “Add a Room.”
- To assign participants to rooms, click the blue number or “Assign” that appears to the right of it and select participants from the list that appears.
- To delete a room, hover over it and select “Delete.”
- To access other settings, click "Options."
- To delete the current rooms and start over, click “Recreate” and select options as desired.
- To join any room at any time, click “Join” next to the room.
- To send a message to participants in every room, click “Broadcast a message to all,” enter text into the box that appears, and click “Broadcast.” The message will appear to all participants simultaneously.
Breakout Rooms can be reopened at any time. All Breakout Rooms must be closed in order to add or delete rooms.
- Zoom: Information
- Zoom: Scheduling Meetings
- Zoom: Joining a Meeting
- Zoom: Participating in a Meeting
- Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features
- Zoom: Polling (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: Breakout Rooms (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: FAQs and Troubleshooting
- Zoom: Zoombombing & Meeting Security
- Zoom: Recording a Meeting
- Zoom: Sharing a Meeting Recording
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Instructors
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Students