Topics Map > Software Guides > Zoom
Quick Guide: Zoom for Students
A Zoom account and software aren’t required to join Zoom meetings, but they’re recommended. Visit zoom.us to get started and be sure to use your PLU account if you decide to sign up. Be aware that Zoom may appear and function differently between computer and mobile devices.
Setting up an Account
- Navigate to zoom.us.
- Click the "Signup" button to the top-right.
- Select the "Sign in with Google" option.
- Login with your PLU ePass.
- Navigate to Resources (top-right) > Download Zoom Client.
- Click the “Download” button to install the Zoom Client software.
Joining a Meeting
- When it’s time to join the meeting, click the link that was sent to you by your instructor and the meeting will open in Zoom. If prompted, enter the password that’s indicated in the email.
- Select video and audio devices as desired when prompted. After doing so you’ll be added to the meeting.
- When the meeting is over, click “Leave Meeting” to the bottom-right to exit.
During a Meeting
- Do a test! Have a practice meeting before a session to make sure that everything is working correctly. Check your webcam, mic, and connectivity.
- Use headphones to prevent audio feedback.
- When you’re not participating in a spoken conversation, such as when you’re watching a lecture, we recommend muting your microphone. This will prevent any unexpected or accidental noises on your end from disturbing the meeting. To do so, click the mic icon at the bottom of the window. Remember to un-mute if/when you’d like to speak.
- Choose a quiet area to join the meeting, free from distractions and noise.
- Zoom: Information
- Zoom: Hosting Meetings & Inviting Participants
- Zoom: Joining a Meeting
- Zoom: Participating & Communicating in a Meeting
- Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: Polling (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: Breakout Rooms (Hosts Only)
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Instructors
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Students
- Zoom: FAQs and Troubleshooting