Topics Map > Software Guides > Zoom
Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features
Zoom web conferencing, 2021. Be aware that different versions of Zoom will vary in appearance and functionality.
Zoom has various web conferencing features that allow meetings to be customizable. Common communication methods, such as video, voice, text, and screen sharing, are automatically available for usage during meetings. However, the more specialized Zoom features, such as whiteboarding, polling, and breakout rooms, need to be enabled in the user account settings in order to use. General options for meetings can be configured there as well.
To enable features or adjust settings:
- Login to the Zoom Web Portal (plu.edu/zoom).
- Click “Settings” from the column to the left. All user settings will display in three tabs: Meeting, Recording, and Telephone.
- If this isn't an option, click “My Account” to the top-right.
- Polling (Pro version only): allows the host to survey participants.
- Breakout Rooms: allows the host to split participants into smaller sessions.
- Whiteboard: allow participants to share a whiteboard.
- Screen sharing: allow participants to share their screen. This can be restricted to the host only, or allowed for all participants.
- Local recording (Recording tab): allow hosts and participants to record the meeting as a video to their own computer.
- Nonverbal Feedback: displays icons at the bottom of the Participants window for participants, which they can use to express their opinions.
- Waiting Room: participants that try to join a meeting will be put into a waiting room, and the host can admit them to the meeting as desired.
- File Transfer: hosts and participants can send files through chat. We recommend sending files through Sakai or Google Drive instead, if possible.
- Annotation: allows participants to annotate shared screens.
- Auto saving chats: saves a record of the text chat during a meeting. This can be retrieved in the Meetings tab in the account.
When done, it’s safe to navigate away from the page. Settings are saved automatically.
For a full list of user settings, see this Zoom support article.
- Zoom: Information
- Zoom: Scheduling Meetings
- Zoom: Joining a Meeting
- Zoom: Participating in a Meeting
- Zoom: Settings and Enabling Features
- Zoom: Polling (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: Breakout Rooms (Hosts Only)
- Zoom: Zoombombing & Meeting Security
- Zoom: CC & Live Transcription
- Zoom: Recording a Meeting
- Zoom: Sharing a Meeting Recording
- Zoom: Virtual Backgrounds
- Zoom: Scheduling for Other Users
- Zoom: Optimizing Connectivity
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Instructors
- Quick Guide: Zoom for Students
- Zoom: FAQs and Troubleshooting