Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Sites
Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
Files stored in Google Drive, such as Docs, Slides, and PDFs, can be embedded directly into the site or linked. Make sure the file is viewable for visitors by adjusting the sharing permissions in Google Drive, otherwise only you will be able to see them.
Adjust the sharing permissions for any embedded or linked-to item from Google Drive.
To adjust sharing permissions:
- Navigate to drive.google.com and ensure you're logged in with your PLU account.
- Locate the desired file and right-click it. A new window will appear.
- Select "Share."
- Click "Copy link" to the bottom-right.
- If "Restricted" is displayed under "Get Link," click the drop-down and select either:
- Pacific Lutheran University: visitors will need to be logged in with their PLU ePass in order to see the file.
- Anyone with the link: anyone will be able to access the file.
Embedding Google Drive Files
To embed a file from Google Drive:
- Adjust the sharing permissions of the file in Google Drive.
- Navigate to the Insert tab from the panel to the right and click “Embed." A new window will appear.
- In the "By URL" tab, paste the copied Google Drive URL (step 4 in the previous instructions).
- Click "Insert" to the bottom-right.
The file will be embedded as an interactive element into the page. Enter Preview to see an accurate display of the the embedded file.
Linking to a Google Drive File
To link to a file in Google Drive without embedding it:
- Adjust the file’s sharing permissions in Google Drive.
- Navigate to the Insert tab from the panel to the right and select the “Text box” option. Or, edit an existing one.
- Click the link icon in the editing toolbar above the text box.
- Enter the desired link text in the "Text" field.
- Paste the copied Google Drive URL.
- Click "Apply."
If the desired file doesn't appear in the search results, right-click the file in Google Drive and select "Get Shareable Link" from the pop-up. Then, follow directions in the Linking section of the Google Sites: Adding Text document.
- Google Sites: Information
- Google Sites: Creating a Site
- Google Sites: Interface Overview
- Google Sites: Creating Pages
- Google Sites: Adjusting Site Navigation
- Google Sites: Adding Text
- Google Sites: Inserting Images
- Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
- Google Sites: Inserting Embed Codes (YouTube videos, etc)
- Google Sites: Themes, Colors & Fonts
- Google Sites: Applying a Layout
- Google Sites: Customizing the Header
- Google Sites: Page & Color Customization
- Google Sites: Publishing a Site
- Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access