Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Sites
Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access
Sites have two versions that can be shared: the Draft, which is the edited site accessible by you as the owner, as well as the Published version. After publishing a site, or to add other people as editors, use one of the following methods to provide appropriate access to visitors.
When sharing sites with instructors, use the link method. Do not use the Share with Others button to send the site to them!
Sharing the Site Link (recommended)
During publishing, set the appropriate sharing option to ensure visitors will be able to access the site with the link (“Anyone at Pacific Lutheran University” is recommended). After publishing, send visitors a link for quick and easy access.
To obtain the link, click the Copy Published Site Link to the top of the page. Paste this into the desired delivery method (email, Sakai assignment, etc).
Sharing the Draft
Share the Draft to grant editing permission to other users. Use this method to edit the site across your personal Google accounts, or to work collaboratively with group members.
To share the Draft:
- Click the Share with Others button to the top-right. The sharing window will appear.
- Under “Who has access,” click the "Change" link next to "Draft."
- Select the desired option in the next window. To share with specific people, select “Off - Specific people” (recommended for sharing with individual editors).
- Click "Save."
- Type the desired email addresses in the "Invite people" field.
- Click "Done."
The recipient will be notified, the site will be added to their Google Drive, and they will be granted editing permissions.
Adjusting Visitor Access for Published Sites
Sharing settings for published sites can be set during the publishing process (see Google Sites: Publishing a Site ). Published sites can be shared with the public, all PLU members, or specific people.
To share a published site:
- Click the Share with Others button to the top-right of the site. The sharing window will appear.
- Under “Who has access,” click the "Change" link next to "Published."
- Select the desired option in the next window.
- Anyone can find and view the published version: the site will be publicly accessible.
- Anyone at Pacific Lutheran University can find and view the published version: the recommended, default option.
- Specific people can view when published: shares the site with specific people.
Sharing with Specific People
It is not recommended to share your site with an instructor using the “Specific people” sharing option. When a site is shared with specific people, it will appear in the recipient’s Google Drive just as any shared Google App item does. If every student in a class shared their site, the instructor’s Google Drive would become cluttered very quickly. Instead of sharing the published site with an instructor, send them the link instead (see the Sharing the Site Link section).
To share the site with a specific person:
- Follow steps 1-2 in the instructions for Sharing the Published Site above.
- Select the "Specific people can view when published" option.
- Click "Save."
- Enter the email addresses in the field below “Invite people” and ensure “Can view published” is selected in the drop-down to the right.
- Click "Done."
The recipient will be notified and the site will be added to their Google Drive.
- Google Sites: Information
- Google Sites: Creating a Site
- Google Sites: Interface Overview
- Google Sites: Creating Pages
- Google Sites: Adjusting Site Navigation
- Google Sites: Adding Text
- Google Sites: Inserting Images
- Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
- Google Sites: Inserting Embed Codes (YouTube videos, etc)
- Google Sites: Themes, Colors & Fonts
- Google Sites: Applying a Layout
- Google Sites: Editing the Header
- Google Sites: Page & Color Customization
- Google Sites: Publishing a Site
- Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access