Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Sites
Google Sites: Customizing the Header
New Google Sites, 2021. Be aware that different versions of Google Sites will vary in appearance and functionality. Access Google Sites at sites.google.com.
The Header style type, text, and background image can be customized. Extra elements such as images and additional text boxes can also be inserted by clicking within the Header.
To change the type of Header, hover over the Header and click "Header type." Select a following option:
- Banner (recommended): Default type. Medium-sized Header that includes a background image.
- Cover: Adds a large graphic to the top of a site which takes up an entire window. Users must scroll down to view the body.
- Large Banner: While not as large as “Cover,” this option adds a large background image to the top of the page.
- Title Only: No background image. Header text will display on a white background
Header Background Image
To change the Header background image (not available with the Title Only type), hover over the Header and click the “Change image” drop-down. Select a following option:
- Upload: add an image from the computer.
- Select Image: add an image from a URL link, a Google search, your Google Plus (under “Your albums”), or your Google Drive.
To change the framing of the Header image, click the anchor icon to the bottom-right of the Header and select an option.
- Avoid neon colors & large white sections
- Create consistency across pages
- Keep it simple!
- Google Sites: Information
- Google Sites: Creating a Site
- Google Sites: Interface Overview
- Google Sites: Creating Pages
- Google Sites: Adjusting Site Navigation
- Google Sites: Adding Text
- Google Sites: Inserting Images
- Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
- Google Sites: Inserting Embeds (YouTube videos, etc)
- Google Sites: Using Preset Themes
- Google Sites: Using Custom Themes
- Google Sites: Applying a Layout
- Google Sites: Customizing the Header
- Google Sites: Page Section Colors
- Google Sites: Publishing a Site
- Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access