Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Sites
Google Sites: Applying a Layout
New Google Sites, 2021. Be aware that different versions of Google Sites will vary in appearance and functionality. Access Google Sites at sites.google.com.
Layouts are pre-constructed designs that can be added to the body of a page for quick and easy customization, such as to add images and text in interesting ways. Elements are added to Layouts after they’ve been inserted into a page. Each Layout has different options.
To add a layout:
- Navigate to the Insert tab to the right.
- Select an option under Layouts. A new section for the Layout will appear in the body.
- Click the empty elements of the Layout to add elements. For example, click “+” to add images, and type text into the “Click to edit text” fields.
To adjust an image, click on it twice in the Layout. Don't double-click too quickly. Options will appear in a pop-up above the image.
To adjust text formatting, click within the text box in the Layout. Options will appear in a pop-up above the text.
Elements in a Layout are grouped together. For example, the image to the right is a Layout with two groups, each of which has three elements: an image, and two text boxes. Each element in a group can be adjusted individually, and the group itself can be adjusted as a whole. A group must be properly selected in order to adjust all of the elements together.
To select a group, hover over it and click when a blue outline appears.
To move a group, select it and then click-and-drag it to a new location.
To resize a group, select it and then click-and-drag one of the blue handles.
- Google Sites: Information
- Google Sites: Creating a Site
- Google Sites: Interface Overview
- Google Sites: Creating Pages
- Google Sites: Adjusting Site Navigation
- Google Sites: Adding Text
- Google Sites: Inserting Images
- Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
- Google Sites: Inserting Embeds (YouTube videos, etc)
- Google Sites: Using Preset Themes
- Google Sites: Using Custom Themes
- Google Sites: Applying a Layout
- Google Sites: Customizing the Header
- Google Sites: Page Section Colors
- Google Sites: Publishing a Site
- Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access