Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Sites
Google Sites: Information
Description: Free website builder.
Available locations: Any web browser
Access: Free with PLU ePass at sites.google.com
Watch the Workshop Now: Google Sites & Nursing Portfolio Workshop 2023
Pre-Workshop Required Resource List (Read for Extra Resources!)
Please familiarize yourself with the contents of this resource list and practice working with Google Sites in preparation for a workshop.
WORKSHOP SCREENCAST: Google Sites & Nursing Portfolio Workshop 2023
Please watch the above video and come to the workshop with questions ready!
PLU Knowledge Base Guide & Tutorials: Google Sites: Information
The PLU Knowledge Base Guide is a collection of short tutorials on basic functions of Google Sites, leading to the creation of a website. This guide is the webpage form of the basics covered in our workshop from the past.
Google’s Official Guide: How to use Google Sites - Sites Help
Google provides a comprehensive how-to guide on their help section, that offers a step-by-step guide for the whole page creation process.
Example Nursing Portfolios
- Quick guide for choosing a effective, creative, and professional website color palette.
This video can help clear up anything that the previous two guides didn’t fully explain. It goes into more detail about page functions than our PLU Knowledge Base Guide does as well.
This video is for more advanced users who want to experiment with interesting website features that use pre-created HTML code. This tutorial does not require HTML training! It simply guides you through copy and pasting lines of text into a pre-created HTML code.
Embed slideshows or carousels
Collapsibles & more!
New Features & Changes from Classic Google Sites
- Sharing: Sites can be shared for collaboration.
- Saving: In Classic, changes needed to be saved manually with the SAVE button. In New, changes are saved automatically.
- Publishing: Classic sites were always live sites, in which saved changes would be automatically reflected. New Sites need to be published in order for other users to access them.
- The Readability Adjustment: This feature was added in New Sites to aid in readability and applies to background images.
- Mobile Compatibility: built-in mobile compatibility allows creators to preview the way their site will look on mobile devices.
- Google Sites: Information
- Google Sites: Creating a Site
- Google Sites: Interface Overview
- Google Sites: Creating Pages
- Google Sites: Adjusting Site Navigation
- Google Sites: Adding Text
- Google Sites: Inserting Images
- Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
- Google Sites: Inserting Embeds (YouTube videos, etc)
- Google Sites: Using Preset Themes
- Google Sites: Using Custom Themes
- Google Sites: Applying a Layout
- Google Sites: Customizing the Header
- Google Sites: Page Section Colors
- Google Sites: Publishing a Site
- Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access