Topics Map > Software Guides > Google Sites
Google Sites: Information
Description: Free website builder.
Usage: Create basic websites and portfolios.Available locations: Any web browser
Access: Free with PLU ePass at sites.googl.e.com
Help: Contact (253) 535-7525, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Help Desk in Mortvedt Library.
The new version of Google Sites is a free, user-friendly website creator that doesn’t require advanced web design skills to use. Google Sites is a great resource for building professional portfolios.
Use the web browsers Chrome or Firefox to create and edit a Google Site. Other web browsers, such as Microsoft Edge and Safari, may not work. If creating a new site isn't an option at sites.google.com, be sure to use a compatible web browser. Some mobile devices aren't compatible with Google Sites, either. All site visitors, regardless of their web browser or device, will be able to access the site after it have been published.
New Features & Changes from Classic Google Sites
Listed below are a few major differences between Classic and New Google Sites:
- Sharing: Sites can be shared for collaboration.
- Saving: In Classic, changes needed to be saved manually with the SAVE button. In New, changes are saved automatically.
- Publishing: Classic sites were always live sites, in which saved changes would be automatically reflected. New Sites need to be published in order for other users to access them.
- The Readability Adjustment: This feature was added in New Sites to aid in readability and applies to background images.
- Mobile Compatibility: built-in mobile compatibility allows creators to preview the way their site will look on mobile devices.
- Google Sites: Information
- Google Sites: Creating a Site
- Google Sites: Interface Overview
- Google Sites: Creating Pages
- Google Sites: Adjusting Site Navigation
- Google Sites: Adding Text
- Google Sites: Inserting Images
- Google Sites: Using Files from Google Drive
- Google Sites: Inserting Embeds (YouTube videos, etc)
- Google Sites: Using Preset Themes
- Google Sites: Using Custom Themes
- Google Sites: Applying a Layout
- Google Sites: Customizing the Header
- Google Sites: Page Section Colors
- Google Sites: Publishing a Site
- Google Sites: Site Sharing & Visitor Access